Sunday, July 22, 2012

The class this week was informative and beneficial.  We got to hear a current teacher's ideas on using technology in the classroom.  Though angry birds would be completely out of place in my Spanish classroom, the idea that games can create competition.  Competition that engages the students will create motivation.  I would like to investigate ways to make my classroom collaborative and competitive.  I enjoyed the idea of involving some sort of point system so that students can monitor their  success and their involvement in the game.  
Putting together an on-line profile is a great idea, it will make interview processes go faster and our ideas will be expressed through many media.  We can put anything that we want to on this profile, and I enjoyed learning how to accomplish this because we did it as a group.  This helps me understand things much better when the group achieves their goal together.  We end up helping each other and providing great ideas.  I will work hard to make sure this is something that I can feel happy showing future employers and colleagues.  
As I learn more about the ways that I can utilize these resources, it makes me feel that I will be creating opportunities for my students to use them too.  We can all benefit from using our content knowledge along with technology so that we expand both of them and intertwine their usage.  This way we become more proficient and resourceful when it comes to the both of them.  
Have fun, work hard, live with hopes and dreams   

2 comments:

  1. I like the corollary you draw between competition and motivation in the classroom. It fits very well with the subject of video games and how students translate what they see in the digital realm to the different sort of real-life game they play every day at school. Group work is an excellent example of melding the two realms together and creating a classroom environment more conducive to learning. Indeed, whether it is individually or in a group, it is important to better facilitate understanding and achievement as you've described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea of competition being important in the classroom environment. Competition makes can inspire people to try harder. I also think that Angry Birds would probably not be helpful in my classroom either, but I think that the idea to utilize modern past-times (like videogames) and turning them into teaching tools could be very useful.

    ReplyDelete